Valentines Day is approaching rapidly. With just days to go, scattered College students (like myself) are looking for last minute ideas on what to get their partner in crime. With empty wallets and tight budgets, it can be difficult to buy something that says ‘I Love you’ without saying ‘Sorry my job doesn’t pay well.’ I’ve been on the ‘net, browsing for bits, and have come across some fantastic bargains that may give you boys and girls some last minute ideas.
For the girl who loves makeup:
- Mac Lipstick Dear Boys, take it from me, you can’t go wrong here. At just €20 in Brown Thomas, this is one of the most common accessories in a females bag. Observe the common colours your girl wears, does she stand out with bold reds and purples? Or does she prefer her pink nudes? Don’t be shy to ask the girls behind the counter in MAC. It’s cheap and loved by most girls!
2. Real Technique Brushes
There’s nothing greater than a new set of makeup brushes. Girls love gifts that scream ‘practical’ and ‘useful’. Real Technique Brushes are one of the most popular brushes, and can be bought in most pharmacies. They usually range between €15/30! You can’t go wrong!
3. Sosueme lashes
If your girlfriend has any interest in makeup at all, she will be forever grateful for a pair of Suzanne Jackson’s eyelashes. With her new range in store now: a collaboration with Lauren Pope, a new pair of Mink lashes could go down a treat. Sue’s basic lashes are priced at €5.99, with her premium mink lashes selling at €10. They can be bought in most pharmacies and are stocked in every Penneys!
For the girl who likes to cook:
- Half Hour Hero, by Rozanna Purcell
In late 2017, Roz Purcell announced the launch of her newest cookbook, Half Hour Hero, after her prime cookbook, Natural Born Feeder flew off the shelves. As a personal purchaser, I was delighted with this buy. If your girl is crazy for food and healthy living, this book is a must have! Easons stock this book, which has reduced from €28 to €13 in recent months!
2. The Bacon Book, Christoper Sjuve
This book is full of whit and humour, and of course, delicious dishes! If she’s mad about Brunch, she’ll love this piece. It’s available on ASOS at just €17.55!
*Guys, if you’re looking to do something exciting this Valentines Day that require leaving the wallet at home, don’t panic. Here are some inventive and creative ideas that you can do that will equally please her:
- Netflix and Chill (Honestly, nothing beats sitting in and eating your heart out)
- Make a home cooked meal from scratch. (If you can cook.. obviously)
- Better yet, make food together.. (Dessert suggestion: cookie dough)
- Just invite Jamie Dornan over. That’s all. Best of luck with it lads x
For the guy who likes sports and fitness:
- A Sports Autobiography: The Test; Brian O’Driscoll O’Driscoll tells the story of his life during the 2014 Six Nations Victory. If your boyfriend loves Rugby and a good read, he’ll love this book. It’s just €14 in Easons.
* If he’s got interest in other sports, remember there are plenty of Autobiographies written by some of the greatest Soccer, Golf & Swim stars!
- Game Tickets
Nothing beats purchasing your boyfriend tickets to a good old football game or rugby match. Generally, tickets can range between €15-€50, depending on the kind of game you are bringing him to. If he has interest in local rugby, tickets will cost an average of €22, as student rates usually do apply! He’ll really appreciate that you care enough to go watch a match with him.
If your other half spends half his time in the gym, why not invest in some of his favourite weekly goods. Be it protein powder or protein bars, save him a bit of money and load up on a week or two’s supply! It’s practical and he’ll be thanking you when he’s running low!
For the stylish guy:
1. A Wallet
You can never go wrong buying a man a wallet. They’re simple, compact and can be extremely trendy. Topman has some high quality wallets ranging between €18-30. Some faux, some leather!
2. A Watch
Nothing says I love you more than a watch. In other words ‘You can never be late meeting me!‘.. lol. All jokes aside, you can find some beautiful watches at great prices in your local highstreet stores. ASOS have an exclusive range at just €22!
For the Computer Games guy:
- Playstation games:
Why not spoil him with an affordable playstation game this Valentines. Make sure to take a sneak peak at his stash before you make any wild purchases! These games can come at a hefty price. Some current popular games include: UFC 3, by EA Sports €59.99 | Star Wars, BattleFront II, €44.95 |Spider Man, PS4, €64.95
Dear Ladies, At the end of the day, most men just want food, and lots of it. Bake him his favourite cake, order him his favourite takeaway dish. Stick on Netflix, watch his favourite movie. He’ll thank you later.
I hope this gave all of you some inspiration. If you have more ideas, please do share them! At the end of the day, Valentines Day is just one day in the whole year. Gift’s aren’t the be all and end all. How you treat each other is ten times more important. Cringing yet? Me too.
Anyways, have a great one..
Happy Valentines Day x